- "...Sometimes, madmen leap into the path of death......and so miracles occur...(...) ...There's only one difference between heroes and madmen. ...It's whether they win or lose."
- — Lambdadelta about BATTLER's escape, Dawn of the Golden Witch
The Witch of Certainty, who has lived for a thousand years. She embodies the idea that "hard workers are rewarded" and is revered even by humans.
Though she is a witch, she does not stray far from the concepts of humans. For that reason, her power as one worshiped by humans is incalculable.
However, she is fickle about whose efforts she chooses to reward, and in many cases, she bestows her favor upon those who entertain her the most.
Her immense, swift, and terrifying power can make any witch surrender in an instant.
However, she is often reckless, and Bernkastel was able to take full advantage of that.
She wears a pink hat and dress and white-and-pink-striped stockings and shoes. Her dress is adorned with pumpkins and pinkish-red bows, some of which are candy-shaped. She also wears black long gloves.
Lambda is playfully cruel. She loves Bernkastel very much, but chooses to hide it. In the Tea Party of Twilight of the Golden Witch, it is implied that she shares a rivalry with Erika, something further explored in her story mode with Chiester 410 in Golden Fantasia. Although she denies it, Lambda will go through great lengths to help her mikos as seen in Twilight, even if it meant standing up against Bernkastel and Featherine, despite the danger.
Skills and Abilities Edit
Lambda has the ability to grant wishes and make them succeed with absolute certainty, however she typically grants it to people that appeal to her, usually those with a strong determination. Lambda also has the ability to create black holes and candy bombs. Lambda can also use Red Truth.
Lambdadelta used to be known as the most powerful witch in the universe, but was defeated by Bernkastel in another game. It is implied that, similar to Bern, Lambda was also trapped in a Logic Error long ago.
- Bernkastel (friend, rival, lover)
- Beatrice (sponsor, witch guardian of, miko)
- Battler Ushiromiya (sponsor, witch guardian of)
- Ange Ushiromiya (miko)
Role in the StoryEdit
Lambda first appears in the ????.
In the ????, Lambda and Bern lie in a bed and mock Battler's theories, with Lambda correcting some of them in red truth. Afterwards, Bern and Lambda declare that Beato will lose for all eternity, and a miracle will certainly not occur.
In the place of Beato, who stepped down from the position of Game Master in the 4th game, Lambdadelta serves as the new Game Master in the 5th game.
Therefore, it is expected that, while the 5th game may be quite similar to the previous game, there will be differences...
This is the first game where Lambdadelta becomes a main part of the story outside of the Witches Tea Parties. In this game, she took over as the Game Master of Beato's gameboard and plays against Bernkastel. After playing out the game and eventually, in the end, getting Battler involved her and Bernkastel lead the court of Natsuhi's Trial. After Erika's victory and Battler's revival, she declared Battler the Golden Witch and Endless Sorcerer and supported him in his battle against Erika because of its pure entertainment. With Battler's revival to Endless Sorcerer and as the Territory Lord she gives the game board over to him, thus ending her small time as Game Master.
Lambda is brought back to life in the ????, being sewn back together by Bern.
Other Appearances Edit
Memoirs of the ΛΔ has Lambdadelta talking about the wishes she's granted. She remembers in particular one girl who wanted determination to become a god and another one who dreamed of being a witch.
Lambdadelta is a playable character and can be unlocked as a system voice.
- She is very similar to Miyo Takano from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni in appearance, personality, and goals. This is likely simply a reference to Higurashi because the events of Higurashi precede those of Umineko by three years (Higurashi taking place in 1983; Umineko in 1986), and she is said to have lived for a thousand years.
- Another similarity would be her name "Lambdadelta" (λδ) which represents thirty-four when using Greek numerals and "Miyo" (三四) can be translated as "three, four" in Japanese, strengthening their connection. In addition, Shannon's real name "Sayo" has a similar lecture to the compound 三四.
- The "game" she played with Bernkastel may be the battle that took place in the world of Higurashi with the battle between Rika and Takano being the purpose of the game. However, in both the sound novels and in an interview with Ryukishi07, not only did Lambdadelta not finish reading Higurashi by the time Bernkastel offered to spoil the ending, Ryukishi07 stated that her similarity to Takano was nothing more than a red herring used to throw off readers who read Higurashi first.
- In Umineko no Naku Koro ni Tsubasa it is heavily implied however that she set the story of Higurashi in motion by granting with certainty Takano's wish to become a god which would explain why Bernkastel always says that she was trapped in a witch's game which was most likely Lambdadelta's certainty
- Also in Umineko no Naku Koro ni Tsubasa it shows a scene that is implied to be Lambdadelta granting Yasu's wish to become a witch. This is even more heavily implied by the fact that she grants the child the power to become a witch for two days which is what she gave Beatrice.
- She shares the same distinctive laugh as Satoko Houjou from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and also has the same penchant for making traps.
- Lambdadelta's link to Satoko Houjou is strengthened in Twilight of the Golden Witch, when the pie riddle that stumped Satoko in Higurashi was said by Bernkastel to have been failed by Lambdadelta.
- On two occasions in Twilight of the Golden Witch, Lambdadelta expresses her hope that she will at least make it to the Top 3 or Top 5 in the popularity polls. This is a reference to the official 07th expansion character popularity polls. She did indeed make it to third place in the first poll following Twilight of the Golden Witch's release, though she has since dropped to tenth place in the final popularity poll held in 2012.
- ↑ Dawn of the Golden Witch Chapter 15: Logic Error. Lambdadelta: ...You know, ......every once in a while, ...that terror comes back to me. ......I wonder...whether I really have escaped from that hell. ......What if...I actually lost my mind a long time ago......and I'm still in there, just seeing a delusion of us all chatting happily like this...? ...That nightmare still terrifies me... ...And so, I need to constantly feel...truly feel that this isn't a dream... ...Hey, ...are you guys...really...real...? ...You aren't just an insane delusion I'm having inside that hell, ...right...? Right? ...Right...?
- ↑ "うみねこのなく頃に散キャラクター人気投票" on when-they-cry.net (old official When They Cry site) http://web.archive.org/web/20120614100823/http://when-they-cry.net/Cgi/vote/umi8/vote_end.html (While Lambdadelta's image does not render on the archive, the third place image being her can be confirmed by checking the file name vote_ico_lam.jpg)
- ↑ "うみねこのなく頃に 人気投票結果" on the official 07th Expansion website http://www.07th-expansion.net/2012vote/umi/result_umi.htm